Indulgent homemade cupcakes with butterscotch and caramel flavour in every tasty bite. Each cupcake is individually garnished with a drizzle of caramel and decorated with fudge chunks.
I’ve baked traditional British sponge cakes for as long as I can remember – it was the first recipe I learnt to bake and I’m the most confident with baking this kind of cake.
I love the classic sponge cake, but what’s really wonderful is how versatile it is. With this new recipe, I’ve revamped a plain sponge cake batter by swapping caster sugar for brown sugar and added a packet of Butterscotch Angel Delight, which is butterscotch flavoured mousse – I don’t mind it served as mousse, but I prefer mine baked into a cake!
One taste of these cupcakes and you’ll be in caramel heaven. Adding butterscotch mousse/pudding to the cupcake batter brings another dimension, but if you can’t find it where you live or just don’t feel like adding it then omit from the recipe. Also, use up some of the leftover caramel/dulce de leche and give your cupcakes a caramel filling.
The cake itself is beautifully airy, light and moist. I topped these cupcakes with caramel buttercream made from four simple ingredients (butter, icing sugar, a pinch of salt and caramel (homemade or readymade). Whilst the caramel buttercream is super delicious, equally a (milk or white) chocolate, cinnamon or vanilla buttercream would be complementary too.
I might just bake these cupcakes again to try out all the different buttercream ideas I suggested!
Surprise any caramel and cupcake lover with this special treat. Trust me, you’ll be baking a second batch of these cupcakes without hesitation!
150g butter (salted or unsalted), softened
150g dark or light brown sugar
3 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
150g self-raising flour, sifted
1 x 59g packet Butterscotch Angel Delight – this is one standard UK packet (optional)
4 tablespoons milk
125g butter (salted or unsalted), softened
350g icing sugar, sifted
Generous pinch of salt
100g caramel or dulce de leche
- To make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake/muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Fold through the flour, butterscotch mousse/pudding (if using) and milk – the cake batter will be quite thick.
- Evenly distribute the cupcake batter between the paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cupcakes are well risen, golden and a cake tester when inserted into the centre of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tin for a few minutes then transport them to a wire rack and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream: Cream the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy – this should take about 3-5 minutes. Now add the salt and caramel/dulce de leche and continue mixing until they’re incorporated.
- Decorate the cupcakes with the buttercream as desired, you can spread the buttercream on with a small palette knife or pipe the buttercream on the cupcakes like I did. Garnish with extra drizzles of caramel/dulce de leche and fudge chunks. I especially love decorating my bakes with Cake Angels Salted Caramel Fudge Pieces or the yummy Zillionaire Sprinkles.
The cupcakes will keep stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here