Vegan Chocolate Orange Brownies: rich and fudgy chocolate orange flavoured brownie with a chocolate orange buttercream.
In case you missed them, the festive recipes I’ve blogged so far: 3 Ingredient Oreo Truffles (perfect Xmas gift idea), Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies, Vegan Shortbread, Vegan Gingerbread Loaf Cake and Vegan Cinnamon Rolls. My first year baking entirely vegan Christmas recipes!
Since sharing this Vegan Brownies recipe last year, I’ve been desperate to put a twist on the recipe. These vegan brownies are perfect for fans of fudgy brownies. I know I am, I’ll take a fudgy brownie over a cakey brownie any day.
The orange flavour in these brownies comes with a real punch, the way I’ve incorporated so much orange flavour is by adding orange extract instead of vanilla and adding the zest from one large orange.
I make my own vegan chocolate orange – they’re delicious and so easy to do! I have a 9-segment mould and melt 75g of vegan chocolate and once the chocolate has melted I stir through 1/4 teaspoon of orange extract.
The buttercream is optional, these brownies taste divine without it just served warm with vegan whipped cream or ice cream. The chocolate orange buttercream is made by creaming softened vegan butter and sifted icing sugar until lightened. Then adding orange extract and gently mixing in melted chocolate plus enough vegan cream or milk until the buttercream is a spreadable consistency.
I also decorate with extra orange zest and homemade chocolate orange segments. This brownie will make an impressive Christmas Day dessert, it’s pretty rich so only a small piece is needed – though I went overboard with these pictures as three of us ended up sharing one piece!
The recipe serves 16 depending on how big or small you slice the brownie up.
Vegan Chocolate Orange Brownies
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 200 g caster sugar
- Zest from 1 large orange
- 140 g plain flour
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 240 ml plant milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 100 g vegan chocolate chips/chunks (optional)
Chocolate Orange Buttercream:
- 75 g vegan butter softened
- 150 g icing sugar sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 75 g vegan chocolate
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream or plant milk
Make The Brownie Batter:
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Line a 20cm square cake tin with parchment paper and set aside.
- Break the dark chocolate up and add to a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie) - make sure the base of the bowl is not directly touching the water. Gently melt the dark chocolate until it’s smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar and orange zest together. Now sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Give these ingredients a quick whisk together to combine then whisk in the oil, plant milk and orange extract until you have a smooth batter. Whisk in the melted chocolate until incorporated. Finally, if using fold through the extra chocolate chips/chunks.
- Transfer the brownie batter to the lined tin.
- Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes - I always bake mine for 25 minutes because I like the brownies extra fudgy. Leave to cool completely in the tin before cutting in to 16 squares. We left ours overnight before cutting.
Make The Buttercream:
- Cream the butter and icing sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the orange extract, melted chocolate and vegan cream and mix until combined. Spread the buttercream over the top of the brownie or slice the brownie up and pipe the buttercream on top.
- The brownies will keep stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
My other Christmas recipes you’ve been enjoying!
Terry’s Chocolate Orange Cheesecake
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here