It’s spooky season and time to get ready for Halloween! Nothing screams Halloween more than these hellishly good Ghost Cupcakes! You get to decide whether they’re cute or spooky…
I first baked some Ghost Cupcakes many years ago when I’d only just started food blogging. I didn’t end up sharing the recipe, but years later I’ve decided to have another go at this cool recipe idea and bring it to the blog.
The recipe is super adaptable, take your favourite cupcake recipe. Chocolate, funfetti, red velvet, pumpkin, or vanilla.
My cupcakes were chocolate flavoured. I used my go-to Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake recipe, and topped the cupcakes with white chocolate buttercream.
In the past, I’ve used a cream cheese frosting. However, I love the un-beatable flavour combination of dark chocolate cupcakes with fluffy white chocolate buttercream.
The final decoration is super simple, take mini dark/milk chocolate chips or regular-sized chocolate chips and place two to make the ghosts eyes, and if you desire, place an extra chocolate chip for the mouth – I just went for two eyes!
These cupcakes will haunt you, that’s how good they are! You won’t be able to stop thinking about them…
- 85 g dark chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon coffee granules or powder
- 180 ml boiling water
- 105 g strong white bread flour you can substitute this with plain flour
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium or large eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
White Chocolate Buttercream
- 150 g butter (salted or unsalted) softened
- 300 g icing sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 g white chocolate melted and cooled slightly
- Dark or milk chocolate chips for decoration
- To make the cupcakes: Place the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder and coffee granules/powder (if using) in a medium mixing bowl. Pour the boiling water over and whisk until smooth and all the chocolate has melted. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake/muffin tin with paper cases. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda until thoroughly combined. Whisk the oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla into the now cooled chocolate mixture. Finally, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter between the paper cases – I find using an ice cream scoop best for doing this as it makes less mess. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until the cupcakes are well risen and a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then transport to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make the buttercream: Cream the butter for about a minute or two to soften. Now add the sifted icing in two batches and beat for another 2-3 minutes until the buttercream is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and double cream.
- Mix in the melted chocolate until just combined and decorate the cupcakes as desired - I use a large round piping tip to create the ghost shape. Decorate each cupcake with a couple of chocolate chips for the ghosts eyes. The cupcakes will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Get ready to bake some truly spooktacular cupcakes!
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here