Today’s recipe is going back to basics. The classic vanilla cupcake. No-fuss, simple and delicious. You can’t beat them, seriously moreish, scrummy and satisfying. And if I’ve not mentioned already, my most favourite cupcake flavour, this classic wins hands down for me. My vanilla cupcake recipe is super moist, buttery and you will definitely be going back for seconds and making this recipe again and again! These cupcakes prove the simple pleasures in life are always the best, especially when covered in lots of buttercream!…
Light, buttery are just a couple of words I could use to describe these amazing cupcakes. The buttermilk really is my secret ingredient, it adds a certain lightness and makes each and every bite melt in your mouth.
Ingredients- (Makes 12-14 cupcakes)
200g of unsalted butter, softened
200g of caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla bean paste or seeds from one vanilla pod
3 large free-range eggs, at room temp
200g of self-raising flour, sifted
1/4 tsp of salt (omit if using salted butter)
1/2 cup (half a 284ml carton) of buttermilk, well shaken
Best Ever Vanilla Bean Buttercream (This is my stand-by buttercream, it’s so amazing, really simple to make and is great fun to swirl onto cupcakes!)
125g of unsalted butter, softened
250g of icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp of vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C Fan. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper liners.
2. To make the buttermilk cupcakes: In a stand mixer add the butter, sugar and vanilla and cream on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat in. Add the flour and salt and gently fold in along with the buttermilk. Mix until you have a smooth batter. Scoop into the cupcake liners (I use an ice-cream scoop for this, makes the job 100x easier!).
3. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean, the cupcakes are well risen and starting to colour a little. Once cooked cool in the tins for 10 minutes, the remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For the buttercream: Add the butter, icing sugar and vanilla to your stand mixer. Starting on low speed (to avoid covering yourself in sugar!) cream the mix together. Then turn the speed up to medium and allow to cream for an additional 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, the buttercream will be super pale and very light!
5. To decorate: Fit a piping bag with your favourite nozzle. Fill the bag with your buttercream icing. Pipe swirls onto each cupcake, the finish by decorating with sprinkles of your choice! ENJOY!
These cupcakes are really absolutely perfectly for any occasion! Pile high with any of your most favourite sprinkles!
Enjoy the recipe guys!