Chocolate chip cupcakes with orange zest topped with chocolate orange buttercream. Zesty, chocolatey and the perfect treat anytime!
These cupcakes are one of my favourite bakes on the blog. They are by far one of the most popular recipes with my readers and they always get rave reviews! What I love most about this chocolate orange buttercream is that it suits two varieties of cupcakes, my choice for you is a beautifully simple vanilla cupcake filled with fresh orange zest and chips/chunks of dark or milk chocolate. Or you can sit this luscious buttercream atop a classic chocolate cupcake, with it’s glorious fudgy texture and rich dark chocolate flavour. I’ve made this buttercream and used to decorate both types of cupcakes I described above, so pick whichever one you like!
If you love the chocolate orange combo then this cupcake recipe is for you! Rich and buttery cupcakes exploding with tangy orange zest, creamy milk chocolate chips and vanilla. After baking the cupcakes are decorated with a gorgeous (and pretty addictive!) chocolate orange buttercream, which I could happily devour by the spoonful. The batter is like the cupcake version of cookie dough!
The recipe all starts with an easy cupcake batter. I use a trusty sponge cupcake batter which I have made ever since I started baking. The only change I’ve made is I like to milk chocolate chips or chunks along with orange zest to the mix. They give the cupcakes are beautiful zesty and gooey chocolatey flavour in each bite. But you’re a chocoholic, you can try this recipe using my chocolate fudge cupcakes.
Decorate these amazing cupcake anyway you like! I love topping each cupcake with a chocolate orange segment as a finishing touch and festive sprinkles.
150g unsalted butter, softened
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
1 large orange, zested
100g milk chocolate chips or chunks
150g self-raising flour, sifted – or the same amount of flour + 2 teaspoons of baking powder
2-3 tablespoons milk
Chocolate Orange Buttercream:
150g butter, softened
250g-300g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
157g orange flavoured chocolate, melted and cooled slightly (this is one whole chocolate orange)
2-3 tablespoons double cream or milk
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350°F / 160 Fan / Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
2. To make the cupcakes: In a large mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, sugar and vanilla. Cream until really light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one and beat to combine. Toss the chocolate chips/chunks in about a tablespoon of the flour and mix – this will stop the chocolate chips sinking to the bottom of the cupcakes. Add the flour, and chocolate along with the orange zest and mix to combine. Adjust the consistency of the batter with milk.
3. Scoop the cupcake batter into the paper cases and then bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Once cooked all the way through, allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes or until they’re cool enough to touch, then transport to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the buttercream: Melt the chocolate in advance and leave to cool very slightly. In a stand mixer beat the butter, icing and vanilla together on medium to high speed for 5-7 minutes until light and creamy. Add the melted chocolate along with the cream and mix until combined.
5. Put the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with your favourite nozzle. Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake, then decorate as desired.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here