These profiteroles use a classic French choux pastry recipe but I decided to bring some Italian influence to the recipe and I’ve filled them with gelato instead of the traditional Chantilly cream. I love to serve these ice cream choux buns with homemade chocolate sauce which is so easy to make and tastes amazing. I’ve been experimenting with choux pastry and last week I shared with you my recipe for Gougères which are great hors d’oeuvres to serve for the upcoming party season. These sweet profiteroles are the perfect treat and are make a pretty indulgent dessert perfect for simply any occasion!
(Makes 8 large choux buns)
Choux Pastry –
100g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
170g strong white bread flour
8 scoops vanilla ice cream
Chocolate Sauce –
100g good quality dark chocolate
100g good quality milk chocolate
150ml double cream
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1. To make the choux pastry: Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Fan/180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Before you start making the choux pastry make sure you have all your ingredients weighed out ready. Place the butter, milk, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan and melt the butter on a high heat.
2. Once the butter has melted, turn the heat down to low and add all the flour. Using a wooden spoon, beat really well until the mixture ‘clumps’ together and starts to come away from the sides of the pan.
3. Now tip the dough into a mixing bowl (this will cool it down a lot quicker) and using the wooden spoon beat the dough until it’s cool to touch.
4. Now add the eggs one by one and beat until the mixture is stiff and all the beaten egg is well combined. Now take a heaped tablespoon of the choux and place it down on the baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes and then allow to cool completely.
5. To make the sauce: Place the chocolate, double cream and golden syrup in a large saucepan, stir continuously on a medium heat until all the chocolate has melted and you have a smooth, glossy sauce. Once the choux buns are cool, dust with icing sugar and cut in halve width ways. Fill with a scoop of ice cream and pour over the warm chocolate sauce.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here