Easy and healthy homemade granola. This recipe will soon be a staple for your weekday breakfast and it can be topped anyway you like!
Originally posted in January 2015, recipe and photographs updated March 2022.
Looking for an affordable, healthy and delicious breakfast recipe? If so, I have a great granola to share with you – a recipe my Mum created. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it’s what sets you up for the day ahead.
Granola just like cake and cookies is another one of my favourite things to make. Most granola recipes I make usually tend to be crunchier, clustered-style granola, which is typically higher in fat and sugar. But since I like to keep as healthy as I can I wanted to share a healthier and lighter granola that can be eaten for breakfast or that could also even be enjoyed as a nourishing snack.
To make my granola, oats are combined with maple syrup, oil and vanilla, the last ingredient of which is an optional addition, but I love the flavour it adds.
Granola is one of my go-to breakfasts to enjoy before heading to work and my favourite way to eat this granola nowadays is with vegan milk or yoghurt and fresh berries or some sliced banana. If you wanted to try something different you can even layer the granola with yoghurt and fruit compotè in a jar and make yourself a granola parfait.
With this basic recipe you can add anything extra you’d like such as different nuts or even dried fruit like apricots, cranberries or raisins. If you’re a chocoholic just like me you can add chocolate chips once the granola is baked and cooled.
This is a speedy breakfast recipe idea, it takes around 15 minutes to prep ready for the oven and then only needs 10 minutes in the oven to bake!
You can adjust the recipe to your taste, add less or more maple syrup depending on how sweet you like it and add a different mix of nuts/seeds you enjoy – this recipe is super customisable.
The recipe makes one large and one small jar of granola, so plenty to keep you going for breakfast throughout the week and beyond!
Basic Homemade Granola
- 350 g jumbo rolled oats
- 150 g mixed chopped nuts I use 50g of each almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts
- 2 tablespoons milled or whole flaxseeds optional - you can also use other seeds you like
- 5-6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5-6 tablespoons vegetable oil I use rapeseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 180°C Fan / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- Mix the oats, chopped nuts and flaxseed (or seeds of choice if using) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, oil and vanilla to the oats. Stir the ingredients together until the oats are moistened. Spread the granola out on a large baking tray and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden and toasted.
- Allow the granola to cool before transferring to a jar or airtight container to store it. The granola will keep for up to a month.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here