Pret’s famous and well-loved vegan cookie filled with crunchy pieces of almond and chunks of dark chocolate!
Following on from my last blog post and recipe for these Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes, I thought I’d continue with all things chocolate and share the latest vegan cookie to come out of my kitchen since I baked these Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I’m probably a wee bit late jumping on this bandwagon, but if you didn’t know already the popular sandwich shop chain, Pret A Manger released their famous Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cookie recipe last year. I’ve seen lots of fellow vegan bakers making these cookies and they always look super delicious and get me craving a chocolate cookie every time I see them.
Pret describes this cookie as a rich dark chocolate cookie, studded with melting chocolate chunks and crunchy almond pieces, enriched with almond butter and sprinkled with a little sea salt. Sounds yummy, right?
I haven’t baked many vegan cookies before, so I was apprehensive trying out this new one. I didn’t have any almond butter in so I used peanut butter instead and my cookies came out incredibly well. You can use any nut butter you have in to make these cookies and also if you don’t have flaked almonds why not try adding some chopped hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts or leave them out entirely and add even more chocolate.
Before going vegan, these Triple Chocolate Cookies were my go-to chocolate cookie to bake. I didn’t want to miss out any longer enjoying chocolate cookies, so when I first saw Pret’s vegan cookie recipe I knew instantly that I just had to give the recipe a shot.
The measurements in this recipe are pretty exact. As with all baking I really do recommend using a pair of kitchen scales to make sure everything is weighed correctly and your cookies bake perfectly.
In all honesty, I didn’t spend ages photographing these cookies because I so desperately wanted to eat them! I love how all the chocolate chunks go gooey when baked, in literally every bite of these cookies there was an explosion of dark chocolate in my mouth.
For a dark chocolate lover, these cookies are heavenly.
Thank you to Pret for sharing this scrumptious cookie recipe with the world. My plan next time I bake these is to prepare a double batch because eight cookies wasn’t enough!
43g caster or granulated sugar
112g dark or light brown sugar
40g flaked almonds, lightly smashed up – you can use whole almonds chopped into small pieces or another nut of your choice
112g dark chocolate pieces – chocolate chips or chopped up chocolate will both work
205g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
65g coconut oil
72g almond butter – I used peanut but any nut butter will work
100g golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Line two large baking trays with silicone baking mats or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both sugars, the almonds and chocolate. Add the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt (it’s recommend you sift the dry ingredients). Mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a small bowl or jug, whisk together the coconut oil, almond butter, golden syrup and water until mixed. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and mix until a dough comes together.
- Divide the cookie dough into 8 equally sized portions and roll into balls. Spread the balls of cookie dough out onto the baking trays and flatten slightly with your palm.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies have flattened, the edges are crisp and the centre of each cookie is still soft. Mine took 10 minutes to bake. Allow the cookies to cool for 15 minutes on the baking trays. As the cookies cool, I like to press extra chocolate chips into the tops. The cookies will keep for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here
5 thoughts on “Pret’s Dark Chocolate Vegan Cookies”
These look scrumptious
Thank you! They were super delicious 🙂
I’ll have to try them
I hope you do and you enjoy these cookies!
I’m sure I shall