Vanilla cupcakes swirled with an ultra fluffy vanilla buttercream and decorated with deliciously crunchy Golden Oreo cookies. A simple and delicious bake perfect for any vanilla cupcake lover!
These Golden Oreo Cupcakes are made completely from scratch using my favourite vanilla cupcake recipe. The cupcakes are gorgeously buttery, fluffy and are everything a good vanilla cupcake should be.
I’ve shared these cupcakes once before on the blog and I’ve only just got round to adjusting the recipe slightly and updating the photos. This time last year I visited America for the first time and I came home with a suitcase crammed full of American candy/sweets and cookies ready to bake with. Because I bought SO much, I couldn’t fit everything into my case and I ended up rushing off to a local shop and buying myself an emergency suitcase!
Oh, the things I would do for some Oreos… 😉
Since my visit to New York, the supermarkets this side of the pond have started stocking different Oreo flavours, so much to our delight we now have two extra flavours in our stores – Golden and Peanut Butter Oreos. Golden Oreos are my favourite and they’re very similar to Custard Creams which are a popular biscuit here in the UK and a personal childhood favourite of mine.
Now, back to the cupcakes…
I use my fail-proof vanilla cupcake recipe which is identical to my Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes recipe. The cupcakes are made using a traditional sponge (butter cake) batter and they’re incredibly light with a gorgeous buttery flavour in each bite.
The vanilla cupcakes are swirled with a creamy vanilla frosting. The frosting is insanely delicious! I’m not even kidding when I tell you it tastes exactly like the vanilla crème filling inside the Oreo. Try it and you will see!
I decorated the cupcakes with a mixture of crushed and whole Golden Oreos. And if you’re feeling like it you could place a whole Oreo at the bottom of each cake – I’ve tried this before and I personally didn’t like the texture of the cookie after it had been baked. I prefer to decorate my cakes with the Oreos just before serving so they don’t go soft and remain crunchy.
Vanilla Cupcakes –
150g (2/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
150g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
3 medium or large free-range eggs, at room temperature
150g (1 and 1/4 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp milk or water
Vanilla Buttercream –
150g (2/3 cup) unsalted butter, really soft
300g (3 cups) icing sugar (confectioners’ sugar), sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp double cream (heavy cream) or milk
6-12 Golden Oreos (halved or left whole)
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C / 180°C Fan / 350°F / Gas Mark 6. Line a cupcake tin with 12 paper liners and set aside.
2. Cream the softened butter, sugar and vanilla together until light in colour and very fluffy. Add the eggs one by one mixing well until combined. Fold the flour in and gently mix until the mixture is incorporated. Finally, add the milk or water to loosen to the mixture slightly. It should now be a soft batter.
4. Evenly distribute the cupcake batter between the cupcake liners. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out completely clean of any uncooked batter. Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes, then when cool enough to touch remove from the tin and transport to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
5. Once the cupcakes are fully cooled make the buttercream. Add the softened butter to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream on a medium speed for about a minute just to soften. Add the sifted icing sugar and the vanilla extract and mix together on a low speed (this is to avoid a sugar cloud!) until the butter and sugar has combined. Now turn up the speed to medium and cream for another 5 minutes – remember to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to ensure all the sugar and butter is combined fully. Once the buttercream is fluffy add the double cream and mix on low speed for another minute to mix through completely.
6. Fit a large disposable piping bag with your favourite nozzle – I love the large star tip for cupcakes. Fill the piping bag with the buttercream and pipe an even amount on the top of each cupcake then finish with crumbled Oreos or a whole Oreo. However you decorate is up to you!
Note: These cupcakes will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here
71 thoughts on “Golden Oreo Cupcakes”
these look awesome, a nice twist from the usual oreo cupcakes. I can’t have oreos anymore (gluten) so I haven’t tried the golden ones yet, but I might try these with the GF vanilla oreo-style cookies.
I’m a huge chocoholic but I actually prefer vanilla cupcakes for some strange reason?! 😀 These look amazing, thanks for sharing!
You make the prettiest cup cakes ever! These look so delicious
These cupcakes are gorgeous! The golden Oreo topping is perfect! I haven’t made cupcakes in forever, but these have me craving a batch 🙂
I like golden Oreos better than the original. I remember back in the day before they made them you could only get the golden ones in off brands. These cupcakes look so delicious and the presentation is beautiful!