Sweet vanilla and almond combine with a touch of cinnamon spice and maple flavour in this crunchy homemade granola!
I’m the biggest fan of granola! I love it so much that I’m sure there isn’t a time when I’m not in the kitchen experimenting and coming up with a new granola recipe. The list of my favourite granola recipes is never-ending and I am more than happy to share my latest granola creation with you.
This vanilla almond granola creation is inspired by my basic homemade granola recipe, but this time I replaced some of the oats with flaked/slivered almonds.
Whilst baking the flavour from the cinnamon, maple and vanilla combine and will fill your kitchen with an amazing aroma. Don’t be alarmed as my recipe calls for one full tablespoon of vanilla to be added. The reason for this is nothing more than the fact I just I love vanilla and I really wanted to be able to taste it in this granola. If you’re not so keen you can adjust the amount of vanilla to your own taste by adding a little less than the recipe states.
It’s also optional to add some cinnamon to the granola mix, cinnamon is one of those ingredients that can transform any bake and I love adding it to any bake from cake and cupcakes to cookies and now granola! I wouldn’t say you can even taste the cinnamon that much, I only add half a teaspoon so it doesn’t overpower the other ingredients and acts as a subtle background flavour in this granola.
Vanilla Almond Granola before baking
You can customise this granola to your own taste by adding chia seeds or flaxseed for added goodness. Moving onto toppings, my favourites are sliced banana and strawberries, you could add anything from dried fruit like apricots or dates or simply enjoy it with milk or Greek yoghurt for a protein-packed breakfast that’ll certainly power you through your morning at work!
I don’t just eat this granola for breakfast, I’ve also been enjoying granola parfait for dessert during the summer and it’s my favourite to enjoy when fresh berries like strawberries and raspberries are in season. The layers of fruit, granola and yoghurt work really well paired together!
Whilst the granola was baking the aromas it created in my kitchen were amazing – I knew I was onto a winning recipe!
200g (2 cups) old-fashioned/rolled oats
100g (1 cup) flaked or slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
75ml (5 tablespoons) honey or maple syrup
75ml (5 tablespoons) vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150°C / 130 Fan / 300°F / Gas Mark 2.
- Weigh the oats out into a large mixing bowl along with the almonds and mix together with the cinnamon (if using).
- In a small saucepan gently heat together the maple syrup, oil and vanilla until warmed. Don’t boil this mixture.
- Stir together the maple syrup mixture with the oats until all the oats are moistened. Spread the granola out onto a large baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, give it a stir and return the granola to the oven for a further 15 minutes. After the second lot of 15 minutes is up, again remove the granola from the oven and give it a stir. Pop the granola back in the oven for another 15 minutes more to finish baking. (Granola will have baked for a total of 45 minutes before it’s ready.)
- Once the granola is baked, take it from the oven and leave it to cool. As it cools it will get crisp. This granola will store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here