Delicious Wimbledon Cupcakes. Fluffy sponge cupcakes filled with cream, strawberries and passionfruit.
To celebrate the start of Wimbledon (in a couple of weeks!) I thought I would share one of my favourite cupcake creations. The Wimbledon cupcake is pretty delicious. Classic, easy-to-make sponge cupcakes are filled with whipped cream, tart passionfruit and fresh sliced strawberries. They make the ultimate summer treat and are a BIG hit with anyone who tries them!
These are a treat to eat! Once you’ve devoured one, you will almost certainly go back for another!
This recipe is my contribution to a baking/blogging competition the ‘Wimbledon Bake-Off’ with Ralph Lauren. These gorgeous little cakes would be perfect to make and serve at a Wimbledon-inspired party or afternoon tea. Like most my bakes, they’re quick + easy to make, require minimal effort, look the part and most of all, they taste delicious.
They not only look chic, but these cupcakes taste extremely beautiful with very light flavours. They could also be filled with jam as well as the cream and fruit. I love filling these little cakes with buttercream and raspberry jam or lemon curd.
I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do!
(Makes 10 Cupcakes)
150g (2/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
150g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large free-range eggs
150g (1 + 1/4 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
2-3 tbsp milk or water, enough to loosen the cupcake mixture
300ml (1 + 1/4 cups) double cream, whipped to soft peaks
2 ripe passion fruits, pulp only
1 dessert spoon icing sugar, sifted (optional)
200g of fresh strawberries, sliced
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C / 160 C fan / Gas Mark 4. Cream the butter and sugar together until really light and fluffy.
2. Then beat the eggs in one by one along with the vanilla.
3. Fold in the flour and add enough milk to loosen the mixture a little.
4. Divide the mixture between 10 cupcake cases and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. Once a cake tester comes out clean then the cupcakes are ready to take out the oven. Leave to cool in the cupcake tin and then transport onto a wire rack until the cupcakes are completely cool.
6. Make the passion fruit cream filling by whipping the double cream until small peaks have formed.
7. To assemble each cupcake, cut the cupcake in half, then fill with the cream, drizzle over the passionfruit pulp and then place the strawberries on top of the cream and top with the other half of the cupcake.
Finish with a dusting of icing sugar and then enjoy! I also piped a little extra cream on the top of each cupcake and decorate with a strawberry slice!
Original recipe posted June 2013.