Chocolate fudge cake decorated with a layer of velvety dark chocolate ganache.
Originally posted in July 2014, recipe and photographs updated May 2018.
It’s taken me four years to update this much-loved chocolate cake of mine. I’ve trialled several more chocolate cake recipes since then and now I’ve found this new recipe, which my taste testers and I absolutely love.
The original recipe I shared was a two-layer cake, the top of the cake was garnished with fresh raspberries and the sides decorated with milk and white chocolate biscuit fingers.
However, since then I’ve wanted to share an updated recipe with easier and minimalist decoration, with focus purely on the taste.
This recipe is from SWEET by Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh. Just like my favourite Chocolate Fudge Brownies, this cake has both dark chocolate and cocoa powder added for intense chocolate flavour and if there wasn’t enough chocolate already in the cake, there’s also a dark chocolate ganache spread on the top of the cake.
Chocolate Fudge Cake:
250g butter (salted or unsalted), at room temperature and cut into 2cm cubes
200g dark chocolate, cut into 2cm pieces
1 and 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (optional)
350ml boiling water – this is for dissolving the coffee
250g caster sugar
2 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
240g self-raising flour
30g cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt – only add this if using unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate, cut into 2cm pieces
200ml double cream
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon butter (salted or unsalted)
1. To make the cake: Preheat oven to 170°C / 150°C Fan / 325°F / Gas Mark 3. Grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place the cubed butter and chopped chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the hot coffee (1 and 1/2 teaspoons of instant coffee granules dissolved in 350ml of boiling water) and whisk until melted.
3. Now whisk in the sugar until it’s all dissolved. In a smaller bowl beat together the eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Add the egg and vanilla mixture to the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated.
4. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt (only use if using unsalted butter). Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined. The batter will be liquid, don’t worry as this is how it should be. Bake the cake for 60 minutes or until the cake is risen and a cake tester comes out clean or with a few dry crumbs attached when inserted into the centre of the cake – my cake took an extra 10 minutes to finish completely baking. The top of the cake will crack, but once you’ve covered the top of the cake in ganache you won’t notice this.
5. Leave the cake to cool for 20 minutes, then carefully remove it from the tin, peel off the piece of parchment paper off the bottom and leave it cool completely on a wire rack.
6. To make the ganache: Place the chopped chocolate in a medium mixing bowl. Heat the cream and golden syrup in a small saucepan until bubbles just begin to appear on the surface and just before it starts to come up to the boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until mostly melted. Now add the butter and continue to stir until smooth. Directly place a piece of clingfilm on the top of the ganache and leave it at room temperature for about two hours until spreadable.
7. Using a spatula or palette knife, spread the ganache on the top of the cake. Serve the cake with pouring or whipped cream, ice cream and fresh raspberries and strawberries. Cake will store covered at room temperature for 4-5 days.
Recipe from SWEET by Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here
43 thoughts on “Chocolate Fudge Cake”
Happy birthday Jess! And what a cake to celebrate ur birthday! Beautiful!luv the way the cake is decorated with the chocolate fingers on the sides.
Happy Birthday Jess 🙂 Your cake is absolutely amazing!
What a beautiful looking cake Jessica! And Happy Birthday! Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen
what a stunning cake! And happy birthday – hope it was lovely 🙂
What a stunning cake! I love the pop of raspberries against the chocolate. Happy Birthday! 🙂
Wow your family has some serious cake-making skills!!! This looks stunning! And happy birthday Jessica!!
Happy birthday girl! WIshing you ALL THE HAPPINESS and a fun trip!! This cake is quite a beauty.
Happy Birthday Jess, 18 is a great age. That cake is simply irresistible I love chocolate and raspberry. It really is gorgeous and I just love the photo of you as a child, so cute!
Happy birthday Jess ! You are only 18 and all this talent ! Your cake is amazing and I love the fingers around! So cute your photo as a child!
Have a nice holidays ! 🙂
Such a beautiful dessert!
What a beautiful cake! And happy (early) birthday!! 🙂
What a cutie you were when you were little … and still are, actually! I can’t believe you’re not yet 18!
What a gorgeous cake as well.
Fudge cake with fudge icing, decorated with cookeis and raspeberries sound DELICIOUS! And it looks perfectly lovely. Happy birthday!
Happy birthday Jess! Wow…what a beautiful cake!!! Absolutely stunning! Fun seeing a pic of you as a little one!
My that’s a beautiful cake!! Happy birthday in advance!! Have a great one 🙂
Thanks Zainab! 🙂
I adore chocolate and raspberries! What a delicious way to begin your birthday celebration! have a spectacular trip!
You are darling in that picture, Jess! Happy early birthday and many wishes for a joyous celebration and year! The cake looks terrific; I see baking runs in the family. 🙂
Happy birthday, Jess! The cake looks wonderful.
This cake looks absolutely incredible! Happy early birthday too Jess!
Yum! Do you know where I can find caster sugar? I need to make this ASAP 🙂
Happy birthday Jess:) what a lovely cake for the SPL occassion
Heavenly chocolate fudge and a smattering of raspberries. If I ate this cake, each & every day would be like my birthday! 🙂
My sweet tooth’s mind has been blown. love this recipe! And the raspberries on the top are so pretty!
Happy Birthday! That cake is such a stunner! I LOVE chocolate with raspberries.
Lovely! That must be a wonderful accompaniment on your birthday! Happy birthday to you too!
Happy birthday! This looks amazing. Save me a slice 😉
That cake is such a stunner! Happy birthday 🙂
Gorgeous cake! It’s decorated so beautifully! The berries on top are so pretty and colorful! What a cute photo of you when you were little! Happy Birthday!
Happy birthday Jess!! Chocolate fudge cake looks absolutely stunning!! I love the chocolate and raspberries combination.. 🙂
Happy birthday Jess! You’re so young and creative. I wish you all the best. Enjoy Italy and let us know about your trip when you’re back (I’m curious :)).
Happy birthday, Jessica, and I love that photo of you when you were little! This cake is just a masterpiece — it looks so moist and chocolatey, and those raspberries are the perfect thing for the top. Beautiful job! 🙂
This cake is stunning, Jessica! Happy happy birthday – hope you have an amazing day!
Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!🎂🎂
Wowww.. The cake is gorgeous..!!!
You look so cute in that pic as now😃😊
Aw, happy birthday Jess! This cake is absolutely stunning. I hope your day was truly special <3
Wow this is pure chocolate heaven!
This looks gorgeous and delicious! I love chocolate and raspberries in all forms, so this cake is right up my alley. Happy birthday! And squeeee at little baby you!
Wow… Absolutely decadent!
Happy sweet birthday!!!! <3 Gorgeous cake!!!!
Such a gorgeous, heavenly cake!
Many Happy Returns Jess! I can’t believe you are only 18 – you are so accomplished!! Lovely cake x