Today I thought I would share one of my favourites French madeleines. These madeleines combine my favourite flavour combo lemon and blueberry. These make a delicious midweek treat and the perfect spring recipe. They’re light, super buttery and they’re bursting with fresh blueberries and zingy lemon flavour.
(Makes 24 Madeleines)
3 large free-range eggs
130g caster sugar
200g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
200g self-raising flour (or the same of plain flour + 1 tsp baking powder)
Zest of 1 large unwaxed lemon
1 small punnet of fresh blueberries
1. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and frothy. Then add the melted and cooled butter and whisk to fully incorporate.
2. Now add the flour, milk and the lemon zest. Mix until you have a really thick and smooth mixture. Then cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight to thicken.
3. When ready to bake, grease your Madeleine tin with a little butter if it’s not a non-stick tin.
4. Place about a tablespoon of the mixture into each of the shells, then press about 2-3 blueberries into each.
5. Bake for 5 minutes at 190 degrees C Fan, then turn the oven off for a minute- this is where the Madeleines get their signature peaks. Then after a minute, turn the oven back on and turn the temperature down to 160 degrees C Fan, cook for a further 5 minutes until lightly golden.
Allow to cool in the tins for a minute, then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack. Before serving dust with icing sugar.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here