This week I’m showing you how to make this ultimate layer cake with chocolate and salted caramel. I planned this recipe out and I’ve only just finally got round to baking it. The cake consists of 4 tiers of chocolate fudge cake layered with salted caramel buttercream. Make for special occasions such as birthday’s or just as a weekend treat and it will go down a treat.
Chocolate Fudge Cake –
210g (1 and 3/4 cups) plain flour (all purpose)
400g (2 cups) caster sugar
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
(3/4 cup) good-quality cocoa powder
2 medium free-range eggs
240ml (1 cup) buttermilk
120ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
240ml (1 cup) hot coffee
Salted Caramel Buttercream –
150g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
300g icing sugar, sifted
Large pinch sea salt
1 x 397g (14 ounce) can readymade caramel or dulce de leche
1. To make the cake: Preheat your oven to . Line two 8 or 9-inch inch cake tins with some baking parchment and grease the sides with butter. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl (the flour, sugar, bicarb, baking powder, salt and cocoa.) Mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
2. Now add the eggs, buttermilk, oil and the coffee. Whisk until all the ingredients are well combined and they are no lumps in the batter.
3. Distribute the cake mix into the tins and then bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cakes are well risen and a cake tester comes out clean. Once cooked, allow to cool in tins for 30 minutes then remove from tins and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
4. To make the buttercream: In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add the butter, the icing sugar and the vanilla. Whisk on low speed for until the mixture comes together, then gradually turn the speed up to medium and whisk for 5 minutes until the buttercream is very pale and light in colour. Then gently fold in the caramel and salt.
5. To assemble the cake: Cut each half into half again- so you have four layers of cake. Place one layer of cake down on a cake stand. Spread about a heaped tablespoon of the buttercream on and spread over. Then top with another layer of cake, spread with buttercream. Repeat this step with the other 2 layers of cake. Then spread a nice layer of the buttercream over the top of the cake. Then I topped the cake with some delicious chocolate caramel pieces.
Keep up to date with me on:
Like my Facebook page here