Anyone who reads this blog regularly will know how much I like strawberries and cream. It’s one of those classics, it just works wonderfully. Sweet strawberries and vanilla whipped cream all sandwiched between two lush buttery shortbread biscuits. These shortbread sandwiches are great fun to make and require little time and effort to make, so they would be great to serve as a quick dessert this summer and they’re sure to amaze anyone who eats them!
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen these gorgeous strawberries I snapped in London the other day? They were absolutely beautiful and I couldn’t resist taking a picture! And for a pound these were pretty much a bargain for London prices!
The strawberries inspired this latest bake of mine. Strawberries and cream and shortbread has always been one my favourite treats. Last year I shared this divine No-Churn Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream ready for Wimbledon and it still remains one of my favourite ice cream recipes. And as you all, my amazing readers enjoyed the recipe so much, I knew this summer I needed to share more strawberry shortbread creations on the blog again this year!
These shortbread sandwiches would make a delicious summery treat. The shortbread biscuits can be made ahead of time and then straight before serving all you need to do is dollop or pipe some vanilla cream onto one biscuit, then top with sliced strawberries and sandwich together with another shortbread biscuit. Finish with a light dusting of icing sugar and then devour!
Also, with Father’s Day this weekend they would make a brilliant bake for the amazing dad’s out there! My dad loves pretty much all of my bakes – but I think these shortbread sandwiches would make a simple and easy recipe to celebrate with!
(Makes approx. 8-10 shortbread sandwiches)
125g unsalted butter, softened
55g caster or granulated sugar (superfine)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
180g plain flour (all-purpose)
8 ounce (227g) pot double cream, chilled
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g fresh strawberries, sliced
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. To make the shortbread: Cream the softened butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy and light. Add the flour and fold into a soft dough. Lightly dust a work surface with a flour and roll the dough out until it reaches approx. 1 cm thickness. Take a medium sized cookie cutter and stamp out rounds.
2. Place the shortbread rounds on a large baking tray, space them apart. Prick across the centre with a fork and place the tray in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5. Bake the shortbread for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool the tray for 5 minutes, then transport to a wire rack to finish cooling.
4. Once the shortbread are completely cool start preparing the fillings. Whisk the cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Dollop about a heaped tablespoon of cream onto one shortbread half. Top with the sliced strawberries. Then sandwich together with another shortbread half. Finish with a light dusting of icing sugar or caster sugar.
5. Serve chilled for a delicious afternoon tea treat!
More desserts you may like to try!
Enjoy the recipe! Have a great weekend everyone!