Chocolate fudge cupcakes swirled with creamy dreamy marshmallow whipped frosting. Drizzled with milk chocolate and topped with crumbled biscuits! The ultimate summertime treat!
It’s officially summertime – aka s’mores season! So no better time to celebrate than with one of my fantastic S’mores Cupcakes!
These are seriously the BEST chocolate cupcakes you will ever eat. Chocolate fudge cupcakes are topped the ultimate (and easiest + quick!) marshmallow frosting. Then sprinkled with crumbled digestives AND drizzled with chocolate! Cupcake HEAVEN.
This recipe was inspired by my friend Jenny. She is the talented lady behind the food blog The Brunette Baker. Jenny was over in the UK recently and she kindly sent me over a package of North American candy and chocolate. When I received the food parcel in the post I was unbelievably excited to try the candies. I even got to try S’mores Oreos! They’re pretty delicious and I literally cannot stop eating them…:D
When I shared the recipe for these amazing Nutella cupcakes I expressed on that blog post much I love these decadent chocolate cupcakes. They really are honestly the fudgiest chocolate cupcake I’ve made and the recipe is so easy and quick to make. Before frosting, I could definitely devour the entire batch! But marshmallow whipped frosting makes any cupcake even more delicious, right?!
(Makes 12 cupcakes)
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes –
1 cup (120g) plain flour (all-purpose)
1 cup + 2 tbsp (225g) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (120g) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
2 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (120ml) freshly brewed coffee or boiling water
Marshmallow Frosting –
150g (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
300g (3 cups) icing sugar, sifted
1-2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200g marshmallow fluff
1. To make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Line a cupcake tin with 10-12 paper liners and set aside. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and salt until combined.
2. Add the melted butter, eggs and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
3. Add half the boiling water/coffee and continue to beat the mixture.
4. Add the remaining water/coffee and continue to beat until smooth. Equally distribute the cupcake batter between the paper liners, filling 2/3 of the way up – I use an ice cream scoop to do this or you can use a pouring jug.
5. Bake the cupcakes for 20-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out completely clean when inserted into the centre of the cupcake. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then carefully remove and place on a wire rack to finish cooling fully.
6. To make the frosting: Cream the softened butter, icing sugar and vanilla until fluffy and pale. Add the milk and mix to combine. Then add the marshmallow fluff a spoonful at a time and mix until it’s incorporated fully.
7. Fit a piping bag with your favourite nozzle and fill with the frosting. Pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake. Top with crumbled biscuits, drizzle over some melted chocolate and top with an extra marshmallow!
Note: The frosted cupcakes will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Chocolate cupcake recipe adapted from Alice Medrich
ENJOY the cupcakes!