Happy Friday! For me there’s no better or tastier way to celebrate the weekend than by baking and eating donuts! So today I’m sharing a delicious vanilla baked donut with a twist. This donut is on totally new level, it’s covered in the best, decadent and rich dark chocolate ganache and then sprinkled with chocolate coated honeycomb. This is my ‘perfect’ donut, it’s super chocolatey and really easy to make! The only bad thing about this recipe is it’s seriously hard to stop at just one!
Tell me your not craving one these right now?
Ingredients- Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
(Makes 8 donuts)
For the donuts-
1 cup of plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg
1/3 cup of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup of Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp of vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache glaze-
1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
2 teaspoons of golden syrup or corn syrup
50g of chocolate coated honeycomb- crushed or crumbled, for sprinkling
1. For the donuts: Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C Fan / 350 F. Lightly spray/grease a donut tin with non-stick spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients (the flour, baking powder, soda and nutmeg) and mix together.
3. In another bowl add all the wet ingredients (egg, brown sugar, milk, yogurt, butter & vanilla paste) and whisk together until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry and fold in until well incorporated. Be careful not to over mix!
4. Spoon the donut mix into the donut pan, fill up to 2/3 of the way up. Bake for 9-10 minutes until very lightly golden. Remove from the pans and cool. Repeat with the remaining batter.
5. For the glaze: In a small heatproof bowl, add the chocolate chips, butter, syrup and 2 tsp of water. Melt in the microwave on medium for 20 second intervals until all the chocolate has melted and the whole mixture is smooth.
6. To decorate: Take each donut, drop into the bowl of glaze. Use a fork to lift out and place on a baking tray or wire rack lined with baking paper. Sprinkle over the crumbled honeycomb pieces. Then eat and enjoy!